Monday, July 28, 2008

Under the Microscope

It’s funny how much people feel the need to share with you what you “can” and “can’t” have while pregnant?

Well, not so funny if you’re actually pregnant and these well meaning people, ei your parents and in-laws and even husband, are monitoring your every move.

“Do you know that has caffeine in it?” – yes I do, I know it has exactly 95 mg caffeine and I can safely have up to 200 mg of caffeine a day. If this helps me get through the day without yawning 500 times or even falling asleep during a business meeting – then let me have my cup of coffee!
“Are you sure you want another double cheese burger?” – yes, with extra pickles and mayo please. Wanna go head to head? Can you down another burger? I think not. Pass the pickles.

“Be careful down the stairs” – granted we all know I’m a certified klutz and have the broken bones to prove it, but still – Can’t a girl walk down the stairs without someone telling her to take her time? I mean really! My baby is the size of a sesame seed for goodness sake. Even if I did take a flying leap down the stairs, I’m sure the baby would be fine. On the other hand, I’m sure I’d break something and my ego would definitely be crushed and I’d have to listen to people saying be careful FOR-EV-ER.

For the record – I have not had ANY coffee, and I’m not missing it. I’m just making a point. I am having a huge craving for a big sloppy submarine sandwich – piled high with ham and salami, both off limits because of the dreaded listeria risk. I can have lunch meat, I just need to heat it in the microwave for 60 seconds then cool it again in a sterile container, but some how, that doesn’t sound as appealing.

We’re going to clear up my approved list with my nurse practitioner when we see her on August 18… it’s going to be a long few weeks.

I have a feeling this is only the beginning and when we actually let the cat out of the bag, I’ll get the full brunt of “helpful advice.”

Yikes… I think the hormones are kicking in… big time.

No comments: