Thursday, July 31, 2008

Six Weeks Today!

This week's major developments: The nose, mouth, and ears that you'll spend so much time kissing in eight months are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus, you'd find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. His emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and his arms and legs by protruding buds. His heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as yours — and blood is beginning to course through his body. His intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to his lungs has appeared. His pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of his brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil bean.

I’m actually feeling better – the nausea has seemed to subside. That or I’m just getting used to it. But the fatigue has hit full strength. I’m literally falling asleep at my desk and yawning all day, non stop. My body’s trying to tell me to get more sleep. Last night I slept a full nine hours and even then I’m finding it really hard to get up for work. I got ready in about 30 minutes this morning, that’s record time. Just so I could get a few more minutes of sleep.

Two more weeks until our first ultrasound on August 18 – we can’t wait! I am dying to know that the baby’s ok – that it’s where it’s supposed to be and that there’s only one! Fraternal twins run in my family – my Aunt Jayne had a set and her daughter Amy just had a set. I’m sure it’s only one baby brewing in there, but wouldn’t that be amazing!

Baby news in our family – I just found out my cousin Amber is expecting her second baby, due February 28 – could be a leap year baby! Wouldn’t that be fun! Amber’s sister, Wendy, is also pregnant, due in November. Then I’m due at the end of March! Dave, my step-dad’s, side of the family is huge and I have many, many cousins. Dave is one of nine and their kids are having kids. As it turns out there were five of us cousins all born in the same year. So we’re well on our way to having our own little group of second cousins of the same age.

No comments: