Thursday, August 7, 2008

Seven Weeks

The big news this week: Hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs — although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny, pudgy extremities you're daydreaming about holding and tickling. Technically, your baby is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of her tailbone. The tail will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. Your baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry.


Wow – seven weeks already. Sometimes it seems like it’s flown by, but on other days time seems like it’s dragging. I’ve been feeling very green with nausea. But I think I’ve found the key – protein. Having a little protein with my snacks helps stave of the nausea for a while anyway. You know you read all these things – small meals, bland food, ginger ale - yada yada yada. You never know what’s going to work for you until you try it all.

Frank’s reading his book, “Pregnancy Sucks for Men!” I couldn’t be more proud. I think that’s what finally helped him realize how miserable I am and how much I need him. I think he’s finding it useful into understanding the mysterious pregnant woman and his care taker mentality has kicked in. The book is written by a dad who has been through it all with his pregnant wife and is quite entertaining.

Frank has been wonderful. He’s been doing the dishes and grocery shopping. I can’t even think about stomaching the sights and smells in a grocery store. Even the smell of our own fridge gets me sick. He gets up when I get home from work to help me with dinner or feed the dog. Then he goes back to sleep only to get up at midnight for work.

We see the nurse practitioner and have an ultra sound on August 18 - in about ten days. It will be so nice to actually see what’s been making me so sick and proof that there’s a little one growing inside me. I took the whole day off so Frank and I can spend the day together.

No comments: