Friday, January 9, 2009

Twenty Nine Weeks

Your baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. To meet his increasing nutritional demands, you'll need plenty of protein, vitamins C, folic acid, and iron. And because his bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day.



We saw the gastroenterologist yesterday. He confirmed everything we had thought – stay on the low fat diet, we can’t do anything about the gallstones now, wait until after the baby’s born and see if you return to normal. He did give me a prescription that will help if I have another attack. So far, I had one minor one this week, but nothing like the one that sent me to the ER. I’ve been doing really well with my eating and am hopeful I’ll return to normal once the baby comes.

Frank and I de-christmassed the house this week and are getting ready for the mass explosion of gifts at the first shower this Sunday. It’s so funny, I have friends who are invited to the shower, but they haven’t mentioned a word to me about it. I think they think it’s a surprise. So, I’ll just play along until I see them on Sunday. I’m really looking forward to it. I’m one of those people who loves baby showers! I’ll be sure to take lots of pictures.

Feeling okay this week. Definitely more tired. I'm usually asleep by 9 p.m. each night. And it’s way harder to get up or roll over in bed now. Like my stomach muscles don’t even exist! As we entered the third trimester, Dr. Purdue suggested we start keeping track of our baby’s movements. She calls them “kick counts.” I should feel the baby move 10 times in an hour and often he does twice that! I have been making a conscious effort to lie on my side, usually after a meal, and feel the baby start moving. It’s the neatest thing. Sometimes I can even see him kicking from the outside! He has also been getting the hiccups, which is just adorable.

I now start seeing my OB every other week. So I have another appointment next Friday. My job has been so great with flex hours and doctor’s appointments.

We’re expecting some snow tomorrow, 3 to 6 inches. I’ll head out in the morning for a mani/pedi and then back to the house to clean. I have an increased desire to clean my house and get things ready for the baby, I’m just waiting for the increased energy. When does that nesting thing start again? I’m waiting… not so patiently…

Hastings says "hi" He likes his new box, it's a little small, but I think it suits him.

No comments: