Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thirty One Weeks

This week, your baby measures over 16 inches long. He weighs about 3.3 pounds (try carrying four navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt. He can turn his head from side to side, and his arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath his skin. He's probably moving a lot, too, so you may have trouble sleeping because your baby's kicks and somersaults keep you up. Take comfort: All this moving is a sign that your baby is active and healthy.

We’re in the final count down… 9 weeks to go. Exactly 63 days left before we get to meet our little baby boy. I’ve said from the beginning that I think he’ll come early, but who knows! He’s consistently measured bigger on each ultrasound, 10-15 days a head of schedule. And I think my docs are on the cautious side and wouldn’t want to risk the complications of me trying to deliver a 9-10 lb baby! We may get another ultrasound in the next week or two to really get a track on the baby’s weight. At my last OB visit, last Friday, Suzanne the NP, said I’m still measuring “big” and that I just had a pretty big growth spurt. She said we’ll talk about our options once we get closer to D-day. I’m assuming she’s hinting at induction, but we’ll see.

My BP was fine at this last appointment and I’ve gained another two pounds. The heart rate was in the 130’s and Suzanne’s pretty sure that he was in the breach position. Again, that’s another conversation we’ll have once we get closer to D-day. Possible c-section?!? Let’s not think about that just yet.

We also talked about when I could leave for maternity leave/short term disability. In NJ, moms get 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after to collect short term disability. I’ve officially given notice to my job that my last day of work will be March 6. That’ll give me a few weeks to get things in order for the baby and most importantly rest when I can! I’ve found it increasingly difficult to just get up out of bed each morning. And the whole showering, drying the hair, getting dressed, make up takes so much out of me that I’m ready to call it a day when I get into the office! You should have seen me trying to get my pantyhose on this morning – it was hysterical. I was making all sorts of noises! I think that’ll be the last time I’m going to do that for a while – totally not worth it.

We will be seeing Dr. Crane at our next appointment on January 30. It’ll be the first time I’m actually seeing him. I’ve called him a few times for various reasons. He seems nice and I wanted to be sure I saw him before I went into labor since he’d be one of the docs that could possibly deliver the baby.

We’re getting more and more excited as time passes – I think I’m ready for the baby to be here already! We still have to set up the nursery, I know – I didn’t make my Jan 1 deadline. In fact I’m way past it, but it will get done! Frank has purchased the paint and he’s anxious to get it done too.

1 comment:

Lana said...

With my first, I had his nursery ready by the time I was 5 months along! With my daughter, it wasn't ready until she was 3 months old!! (In all fairness she WAS 4 weeks early! lol!)