Friday, November 14, 2008

Twenty One Weeks

Your baby now weighs about three-quarters of a pound and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long — the length of a carrot. You may soon feel like she's practicing martial arts as her initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges. You may also discover a pattern to her activity as you get to know her better. In other developments, your baby's eyebrows and lids are present now, and if you're having a girl, her vagina has begun to form as well.See what your baby looks like this week.
Lucky 21. We’re just over half way to the finish line and I’m feeling great. I thought I was catching a cold earlier this week, but my super pregnancy immune system kicked it right out of my system. I’m still puking almost ever morning – this week it was 3 out of 5 days – so I’m doing good so far.

I saw the nurse practitioner, Suzanne, yesterday for my monthly check up. She said all looks good. Blood pressure was at 110/70, which is great! Fetal heart rate is about 140 – right on track. And she felt for my uterus which is just above my belly button. Total weight gain so far is 11 pounds. Not bad, but the doc doesn’t want me to gain more than 20 – so we’ll see how that goes. I have a feeling a lot of it is water weight, really, cause I’m just swollen all over.

Do you know where you sciatic nerve is? I do – I know exactly where it is. Cause this little baby likes to rest on it and that causes shooting pain down my right leg. It comes and goes, but mostly comes when I’ve been sitting for a while. So my new charge from the doc is to get up every 45 minutes and walk around. Not only will this help with my sciatica, it’ll help with the swelling I still can’t seem to get rid of.

Great news on the family front. My cousin Wendy and her husband Jay welcomed their newest addition, Gavin Ellis, into the world on November 11. What a cool birthday – 11/11. Wendy is the first of us cousins during this baby boom to have hers and we couldn’t be more excited. Gavin weighed in at a healthy 9 ½ pounds, 21 inches long. Jay is a pretty tall guy, so we’re sure he’ll take after his dad in the height department.
Our little guy is still measuring a little over a week a head of schedule. The ultra sound tech last time said he should probably be due on March 19. So, I’m not anticipating making it until my due date. Especially if he’s already big – I think they gain the bulk of their weight at the end.

I had to catch myself from making plans for work in April – not thinking that I’ll be on maternity leave by then. The end is getting closer and closer every day.

No comments: