Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Planning

Two and a half weeks until I leave for Vegas and step into the new world of trying to conceive (TTC). There’s a whole world out there for couples trying to have a family. Books, magazines, message boards, support groups, check lists… The mass amount of information is daunting! Whatever happened to just letting nature take its course and “seeing what happens.”

Well, if you know me personally, you know I’m a planner to the 10th degree and I have to admit I have been doing a little planning on my own. I’ve been reading and charting and taking my temperature and planning as much as I can with out actually trying to conceive. I’ve only purchased one book, “Taking Charge of Your Fertility.” This is a great book for women who need a 101 about reproduction and how to help increase your odds of conceiving. I have a few other books I’d like to get, about pregnancy, but have been holding out until we actually start trying. Sorry to report, I’ve been swallowed up by this new big world.

Doing research and planning has made me feel better since I can’t really talk about this with anyone! Frank and I both decided, for our sanity mainly, that we would keep our baby planning timeline to ourselves. Which I totally agree with, but has been a challenge for me.

I’m a very personable person. I can talk to anyone about almost anything, and often do. I talk my personal life with friends at work, my mom, my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and so on. But does my boss really need to know that I found a sweater on sale for 60% off at Kohl’s? Does the vice president need to know my vacation plans? Maybe a bit too much information?

So needless to say being quite about this particular subject has been tough. We decided not to say anything to friends or family when we start trying to avoid the obviously embarrassing question, “are you pregnant yet?” And what happens when we do conceive, do we lie for the first three months until we’re over the questionable first trimester? So this decision to remain quiet was intentional and made for all the right reasons. But when do we tell? That’s a topic for another day.

Unexpectedly, I’m really starting to like this new found privacy. I’ve been learning a lot about this from my very private boss. She doesn’t willingly divulge information and keeps her private life separate from work conversations. Once in a while I’ll get a story about her grand kids or a recent trip, but for the most part, she’s a sincerely private person. And I respect that. And I’m hoping to learn from her.

This week we’re planning our trip to Vegas. Trying to decide between this buffet or that restaurant and this show or that gondola ride… You never know what to expect in Vegas!

No comments: