Thursday, February 28, 2008

Awe Struck

I am in awe at the woman’s reproduction cycle. I have been doing some more reading, probably more than is good for me, but everything I’m learning I find to be true when it comes to the reproductive cycle of women.
I have been off any hormonal birth control (pill, patch, ring you name it!) for almost four months. At this point I have completely forgotten, or maybe blocked out, that a woman’s body goes through many changes during a cycle when it’s not inhibited by hormonal contraceptives.

*TMI alert*

So I read that a woman will see a small increase in her basal body temperature during ovulation – and low and behold after obediently measuring my temp in the wee hours of the morning, my temp has gone up significantly to the point I feel flushed most of the day. Science has also revealed a connection between (TMI?) cervical secretions to the onset of ovulation, and again – I’m right on track with that. So, one would believe that I am currently ovulating. One lucky egg will eventually break through the ovary and make its way down the fallopian tube.

Being the constant pessimist, and convinced that I am in fact infertile, I have purchased an ovulation predictor kit. I need scientific proof that this ovulation thing really happens. I can’t rely on my own lay observations, some one hand me a test strip please! I’ve been dutifully testing my urine every morning and just this Tuesday an extra line appeared… I was in shock! No I’m not pregnant, I have scientific proof I am ovulating!

Wow… still in awe that my body actually works!

I’m sure this is just the beginning… Once we conceive I’m sure my body will surprise me every day.

No comments: