Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Little Pumpkin

Call it a right of passage… another milestone if you will – we took Dominick pumpkin picking for the first time.

Well… I wouldn’t necessarily call it “picking” we didn’t pluck anything off a vine. Here in New Jersey, we have wonderful farm land, heck we’re even called the “Garden State!” But for some reason, when people go pumpkin picking they do not actually pick anything. Back in the day, sure! Frank’s mom said they actually had to bring a knife with them to cut the pumpkin off the vine. We merely meandered around a field littered with all sorts of pumpkins.

In some families the annual pumpkin picking adventure is an annual tradition. It sure is in Frank’s family. I can’t say that my family has ever done it.

This year was special, this year was Dominick’s FIRST ever time pumpkin picking and he really didn’t seem to know what was going on. I think a lot of his firsts this year will be more for our enjoyment than his… but we will bring on the pomp and circumstance with each one.

Grammie (Frank’s mom Theresa), Aunt Kristen and her boyfriend Fred all trekked down to Colt’s Neck to find the perfect pumpkin. It’s about a 30 minute drive through country highways – it’s actually pretty nice once you get off the parkway.

Well, we weren’t the only ones who decided Sunday was the prefect pumpkin picking day. There were people all over the place, from all over the place, PA and NY. We headed straight to the pumpkins and walked right passed the “photo area.” Think three different staged areas set up with hay bales, scare crows, pumpkins and gourds galore. Of course we stopped, waited our turn, took other people’s family pics and then headed in our selves.

We propped poor Dominick up between two pumpkins – the look on his face was priceless - utter confusion.

What the heck are these people doing? What is this scratchy stuff I’m sitting on? Can I put it in my mouth? What are these round things next to me? Can I eat them? Why is my family yelling my name, waving furiously and trying to get me to look up when I have all this new stuff to look at?

So, we did pictures then moved on to the actual picking of the pumpkins. Oh wait, more pictures. We needed to get pictures of Dominick in the actual pumpkin patch… remember, no vines. So we put him in the middle of the field, surrounded by these bright orange pumpkins that were literally, the same size as he was. He humored us and we snapped away.

Okay, now onto the actual picking. I picked ours out right away – perfect shape, size, color – we’re good to go. We have things to do! Grammie and Kristen on the other hand like to take their time and find the absolutely perfect pumpkin. Dominick and I waited patiently people watching.
There was a huge family, maybe twenty people or so. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins – all gathering for a family portrait… in the pumpkin field. They were wearing some sort of orange/black combination. Maybe this was their annual tradition. I can't wait to start some new triditions of our own.

Grammie and Kristen finally picked out their pumpkins and back through the photo staging area we go – it’s on our way out. But wait, wouldn’t it be cute to put Dominick on top of a pile of little pumpkins and gourds to take more pictures? Poor guy. The pictures really came out cute, but he was in no mood to smile or act adorable. Just way too much stuff going on around him. We looked like idiots trying to get him to smile.
Frank had to work, but ensured us he’d make it out next year. These are memories that I would trade for anything. I am so looking forward to his first Thanksgiving, first Christmas, first Easter… first birthday! That will be here before you know it!

Pumpkin picking part II on the way.

No comments: