Monday, December 28, 2009

The Woman Behind the Tinsel

There’s a laundry list of things no one ever warns you about when you become a mom. You get over your bodily fluid phobia real fast, sleep deprivation is an art form, you will never pee alone again and quite often you’ll leave the house with spit up down your back and not even know it! One special little tidbit hit home this holiday season.

When you become a mom no one ever really tells you about the enormous amount of work that goes into making each and every holiday special for your children and family. Not only do you have to take care of your child/children 24/7, but you also have to shop for every family member, bake all sorts of cookies, decorate the entire house, go to numerous holiday parties pretending to be festive when all you really want to do is go home and finish your to-do-list so you can collapse on the couch.

When I did get in bed after a long night of to-do’s, all I could think about were the next things on my list that had to get done tomorrow. I literally had to write everything down because I didn’t trust my sleep deprived over stuffed brain to remember anything. I do have to shop for a lot of people – we have a HUGE family and lots of nieces and nephews.

Don’t get me wrong. I actually love Christmas. I look forward to it every year. But now, as a mom, it has a whole new meaning. It means that I have to plan every spare second to be sure everything gets done. It means that sure, I’ll stay up late till two in the morning wrapping Christmas Eve because the little guy was up till midnight.

I hope Dominick will some day appreciate all of our efforts into making his holidays special.


Thank you mom for all of your hard work, endless hours and loving time you put into my cherished holiday memories.

No comments: