Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Getting In a Groove

I’ve been back at work for just over a month and I’m starting to feel like I’ve found my groove as a working mom. The first couple of weeks were a bit hairy.

This is how my mind works… I worry about figuring out how to get ready with an infant wanting my attention. How to get Dominick to the grandmas’ houses in enough time for me to make it to work by 8 a.m.! I know, it’s crazy early. Make sure Dominick has all the supplies he needs in his go bag. Making sure the stroller comes with and bumbo seat and the teething rings. And finding the confidence to know I can get all of these things done, and not to forget anything too important. Like bringing the baby to the wrong grandma’s house! I’ve actually headed in the wrong direction a few times.

Now, we have a set schedule. We’re up and out by 6:45 every day and I pick Dominick up at the respective grandma’s house and home we go for bottle, bath and bed. Maybe if I get home early enough, we have some play time.

I do cherish that time with him after work. It’s mommy and Dominick time. We laugh, we act silly, and we cuddle. It’s so great.

I’m in a great place today probably because I had a decent night’s sleep last night. That means, four consecutive hours. I know, not my typical 8-9 hours I was used to getting! I have a feeling that won’t change for many years to come.

I’ve been blessed that my baby loves to sleep! Little guy takes at least three naps a day. Sometimes that last for two – three hours! He’s down for the night by 7 p.m. and wakes for a feeding between 3 and 4 a.m. like clockwork. Then he’s back to sleep until 6:30 a.m. when we leave for work. I couldn’t ask for more than that! He goes a really long stretch, 8 hours at night with out eating. We’re hoping we lose the late night feed and he sleeps through the night soon. A ma’ma can hope, can’t she?

Most nights he wakes up if he looses his paci – so it’s a quick run into the nursery to plug him back up, then back to sleep with a few pats on the bottom. I wake up when Frank does his late night feeding. When I hear him crying for his bottle; I’m thinking, what is Frank doing to soothe him, why is he still crying? I know Frank’s doing his best, but I still think about these things, and it keeps me up.

All in all, I’m feeling much more confident about being a working mom.

And I love being a mom.

No comments: